Pompeii, the thriving city that was swallowed by a volcanic eruption, is actually still very well preserved. So much so; you can still read graffiti on walls around the city. Some of it is poetic and beautiful; however, some of it was very very dirty. Check out some examples:
- From the Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio: "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"
- From Herculaneum (a bar/inn joined to the maritime baths): "Two friends were here. While they were, they had bad service in every way from a guy named Epaphroditus. They threw him out and spent 105 and half sestertii most agreeably on whores."
- From just outside the Vesuvius gate: "Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place."
- From the peristyle of the Tavern of Verecundus: "Restitutus says: 'Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates.'"
- From Herculaneum (a bar/inn joined to the maritime baths): "Apelles the chamberlain with Dexter, a slave of Caesar, ate here most agreeably and had a screw at the same time."
More at the source!