A political party wanted to make a mockery of the system, so they elected this animal as its leader!
The Parti Rhinocéros, known as the Rhinoceros Party of Canada was a satirical federal political party in Canada from the 60s until the early 90s. They were much of an entertainment source and a kind of protestation party for voters.
In 1980 their greatest feat was 110,286 votes because the general public was so disgusted with the rest of the political parties in Canada, getting them 1.01% of the total vote. Some of it's most awarding promises were:
- Rather than awarding money as prizes in the lottery, the winners would be appointed to the Canadian Senate.
- Men would be allowed to work as prostitutes, wet nurses, secretaries and receptionists.
- Instituting English, French and illiteracy as Canada's three official languages.
- Selling the Canadian Senate at an antique auction in California.
- Repeal the law of gravity.
- Change Canada’s currency to bubble gum, so it could be inflated or deflated at will.