This is a pretty weird one. Super glue, or cyanoacrylate, is a fast acting adhesive with many popular uses in the household, for arts projects, and even for some medical usage. Applying cyanoacrylate to most materials made of cotton or wool, including cotton swabs, cotton balls, and many kinds of fabrics, causes a fast, powerful exothermic reaction. In layman’s terms, that means there’s a sudden outburst of heat, in this case fire.
So serious is the reaction that the heat can cause serious burns, release irritating white smoke, and even ignite the cotton product. Whenever handling cyanoacrylate, it’s vital to never wear cotton or wool. The fumes caused from the reaction are also very toxic. They irritate membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat. Some people can get flu-like symptoms from enough exposure.
Others can get an allergic skin reaction, or even asthma. It goes without saying, but never try this at home. To satisfy your curiosity, here is a video of the reaction in action.