'The Mummy' was so successful that the morning after it was released Universal Studios phoned the director and said 'we need another one.'
It’s funny to think that this was said about a franchise that would produce such an underwhelming third installment. Still, the franchise grossed a lot of money and even has (brace yourself) a darker, grittier reboot coming. Some other interesting tidbits about the movie follow.
- During one scene involving a noose, the noose around Brendan Fraser’s neck was so tight that he passed out.
- The library disaster scene was all done in one take.
- The white gown Evelyn was wearing in one scene got so wet that it became transparent and had to be painted over in post production.
- Dog food was dried to simulate hail for one of the scenes.
- A scene involving locusts had several real grasshoppers that were stored in a fridge so that they would be slower to move and easier to film.
- For an unknown reason, all the camels hated Kevin J. O’Connor.
- The “Mummy” referenced in the title of the movie wasn’t actually mummified at any point.