The local landmark is a white oak nicknamed Jackson Oak. It is widely assumed that the oak has legal ownership of itself and all land within eight feet of its base. It is located at the corner of South Finley and Dearing Street.
The original tree actually fell in 1942 and an acorn from it was replanted in the same spot. Now, the tree is sometimes referred to as the Son of The Tree That Owns Itself. Both trees have appeared in numerous national publications. The story goes that a William H. Jackson owned the land and grew up with the tree. He was very fond of it and wanted to keep it protected.
So, he deeded the tree to itself and the surrounding property with it. Today, the deed has never been seen and it is highly unlikely that it ever existed. Nonetheless the story is told as fact and generally accepted as fact.