Richard Nixon liked a roaring fireplace in the Lincoln Room so much that he kept it going during the summer with the AC cranked up!
The Lincoln Sitting Room is located on the second floor east wing of the White House. For the first 100 years it was used as part of the president’s office, and specifically used as a telegraph room from 1865 to 1902.
In 1902 the West Wing was built onto the White House and all offices moved there and the Lincoln Room became a sitting room for guests staying in the bedroom next to it. It has been decorated to match the bedroom next door in a Victorian theme. Some of its furniture actually came from the Green Room.
The room was Nixon’s favorite spot in the White House. He liked it so much that he even had it replicated in his presidential library. He enjoyed working in the room next to the roaring fireplace and it helped him so much so that he even lit it in the summer and turned on the AC to offset the heat.
He would listen to music and sit in his favorite brown chair to do his work next to the fireplace.