Disney's always been careful to maintain their family friendly image in anything associated with the Walt Disney brand. That's why it's notable that The Lion King featured a Disney character doing something no other character had ever done on-screen: fart. Fart jokes, commonplace in cartoons nowadays, were not common at the time.
Here's some more interesting facts about The Lion King:
- As we've mentioned before, it will forever hold the record for best selling VHS of all time, with over 50 million copies sold.
- It was the first Disney cartoon to be dubbed into Zulu.
- Many of the names were derived from Swahili words. For example, Nala means gift, Pumbaa means ignorant, lazy or careless; and Rafiki means comrade or friend.
- Mr. Bean provided the voice for Zazu.
- The wildebeest stampede took over 3 years to animate and was done with CGI.